Old March 3rd 05, 02:51 AM

"Shillelagh" wrote in message

wrote in message
. com...

So I did some research, and decided to resolve the whole slate of health
issues by losing some more weight and getting more exercise. Now, I

watch
my diet, I get a good deal of exercise, and I am down to 180 lb with a
weight goal of 160 lb. (Actually, the goal is to get my body fat down

15%.) My blood pressure is under control, the cholesterol is under

control,
and I am sleeping better. All without drugs. My doctor is back to
scheduling once a year examinations for me. My cost is 90 minutes of
vigorous exercise every other day. It is a very high cost, but it gives

me
my life back. Now, I am back to having energy and getting things done.
Time for exercise is a small price to pay for getting my life back.

Talk to me in two years or more, when you have kept it all off, and not
gained a pound back. I've been there, done the whole routine. Keeping

the
weight off is the hardest part, and if you can do it, good for you. Not
many people can get it off and keep it off. And, the newly converted are
the ones with the shiniest halos.

I have kept 40 pounds off for 4 years. No backsliding what-so-ever. I have
lost an additional 20 pounds over the last 6 months. That puts me down 60
pounds from my max weight at the end of year 2000. I am ready to talk
turkey.

Now we know that walking and gardening and house work are simply not
enough exercise to maintain a reasonable level of fitness.

Beg to differ with you. Power walking is an excellent way to get fit and
stay that way. BUT - you have to do it at least 5 days out of 7, for at
least 2 or more miles a day, and watch the food too. Besides, being
personal about it, I wrecked my knee last year, so it's unlikely I'm going
to be doing much else besides the walking and maybe my exercise bike.

If you are going to
get fit or stay fit and have good levels of energy, you need to exercise
hard enough that you can just pant 4 words at a time in a conversation
(the talk test) for at least 30 minutes every day.

I disagree with you there. While exercising, if you can only pant a few
words, you are working too hard, and leaving yourself open to a heart
attack. A proper talk test is to be able to speak at least a whole

sentence
and be understood.

That is what the American Heart Association taught for years and years. I
followed that advice and got fat. Nor does it sound like it is really
working for you. I am letting you know what did not work for me, and what
does work for me. When, I am out running, I chat and tell jokes - 4 words at
at time. Actually, I wear a heart rate monitor and I know exactly how hard
I am pushing myself. The new research is reflected in the new FDA Food
Guidelines. They call for more exercise and more vigorous exercise. I have
been in corrispondance with researchers at the Mayo Clinic, John Hopkins
Medical Center, and the Cooper Institute. They agree that the AHA exercise
guidelines were too low in duration and intensity. ( But, you must start
slow and work up over a period of months. Train, do not strain!)

To bring this back on topic, if you exercise and get fit, you will be a

much
better knitter. That is my story, and I am sticking to it.

Well hon, I'm not fit and I'm a pretty good knitter.

I am sure that you are a better knitter than I am. A friend just stopped by
to pickup some yarn, and I showed her the new ski socks that I am working
on, and she said that they reminded her of the Russian peasant socks they
had when she was a girl in Siberia. From this lady, "peasant socks" is not
a complement.

What I need to do is LESS knitting and more power walking. Hmmm, maybe

when it warms up a bit.

I have a book of traditional knitting that has pictures of women knitting as
they walk. I looks like a very steep trail so they appear to be getting a
lot of exercise as they knit.

No, I do not have a web album. Maybe one of these days.

Yahoo has a good web album thing. Very easy to set up. I'm sure we'd all
love to see your knitting and whatever other crafts you are into.

You want to see a picture to see if dogwood knitting needles really exist or
if I am just pulling your leg? G

I'm working on a laceweight shawl these days. I hope to finish it in the

next
month or so.

Have a good day.
Shelagh