Old January 20th 08, 05:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

Default Has anyone any comments on the 'Square in a square' method?

Yes, Kim. It is time. Polly

"KI Graham" wrote in message
I really like the square-in-square technique for some blocks (although
that's not my method of choice for either flying geese or half-square
triangles): it's not really that wasteful [considerably less so than the
"stitch and flip" method of adding triangles]. It's great for diamond
shapes and longer star points [such as the ones in 54-40 or fight.]
Downside: it leaves the outside edges on the bias; Upside: it's perfectly
accurate, and if you don't handle them too much, the biases aren't a
problem. A shot of spray starch helps control that too.

Upside 2: for the basic square-in-square patches, it can't be beat for
speed...I made 100+ of them for our 25th anniversary party in a single
afternoon. [Hmmm...we've been married 30 years, guess it's time to do
something with all those signature patches.]

The ruler's a bit pricey, but if you use it a fair amount, it's not a bad
investment. Jodie Burrows [the square-in-square lady] has a number of
books out that use the ruler as well.