Old February 24th 05, 11:13 AM
David Billington

Borax is the common name for the stuff you mentioned, its not a brand
name so I suggest you try a better hardware store. You might want to ask
at a chemist also and if that fails a jeweller. Borax can be used as a
flux for silver soldering. I think its often found, as you suggest, in
the washing section of supermarkets.

figjam62 wrote:

G'day all,

I am trying something new, and get devit with this one particular type of
slumping project, coming off 720oC / 1328oF or so, but only with this one
recent project.
Normally work with float, and coming off same programmes have no devit
problems, but this is bottle glass. I don't crash cool, usually my
programmes finish (at my workshop location) at 3am or 4am, having cooked
when cheap power comes online from 9pm.

Ok, I have the formula for Borax spray, and thought I'd give it a try.
I have heard of Borax, but the local hardware tells me they think Borax is a
brand name cleaner, no-one seems to have it though.
They also have a Borax fungicide, but feel that this is not what I'm after.

Found the 20 Mule Team info online, and this :
20 Mule TeamŽ is composed of sodium, boron, oxygen, and water. (The
scientific name for borax is sodium tetraborate decahydrate.)

So, what on earth is a substitute?
Or do I just have to go check out all the cleaners about in the laundry
section of the supermarkets ?

If I find one with sodium tetraborate decahydrate listed as the ingredient,
will certainly give it a shot.

In the meanwhile, any thoughts / info appreciated.

Regards,
Les
Adelaide, South Australia