Old May 16th 13, 10:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Belinda Alene

Default 'Tis the annual posting.....

On Tue, 07 May 2013 20:14:00 -0400, Susan Hartman
wrote:

On 5/5/2013 4:03 PM, Karen C wrote:

Most people don't know that back in 1912, Hellmann's mayonnaise was
manufactured in England. In fact, the Titanic was carrying 12,000 jars
of the condiment scheduled for delivery on May 5th in Vera Cruz, Mexico,
which was to be the next port of call for the great ship after its stop
in New York.

This would have been the largest single shipment of mayonnaise ever
delivered to Mexico. But as we know, the great ship did not make it to
New York. The ship hit an iceberg and sank, and the cargo was forever lost.

The people of Mexico, who were crazy about mayonnaise and were eagerly
awaiting its delivery, were disconsolate at the loss. Their anguish was
so great that they declared a National Day of Mourning, which they
still observe to this day.

The National Day of Mourning occurs each year on May 5th and is known,
of course, as Sinko De Mayo.

And now you know where the name originated!

DD volunteers weekly at the SPCA, and since Cinco de Mayo fell on a
Sunday she was there to celebrate Cinco de Gato....all rescue cats only
a $5 adoption fee. I thought that was pretty clever!

Changing the subject - rather, following up on the second line of
inquirty - lately I hear raves about Duke's mayo....opinions? I've never
tried it - we don't use much mayo at our house, and we've switched to
the olive-oil based kind. But dang, Duke's is expensive compared to
store brand!

sue

I have simple tastes and prefer 'Blue Plate' mayonnaise over Kraft, Helmans or
store brand. I grew up being fed Miracle Whip in place of mayonnaise. Once
discovering that Miracle Whip was not mayonnaise I did a taste test of the
brands available in my local grocery. Now I really dislike Miracle Whip having
finally had real mayonnaise.

I no longer use as much mayo as once I did, having lost interest in the extra
calories. Yet summer is coming so it is time to begin making egg salads for
cool lunch on hot days.