Old October 17th 11, 01:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
John Bassett

Default Crafts from recycled glass

On Oct 14, 3:24*pm, Belinda Alene
wrote:
I have experience in a number of different handcrafts. *Glass work is my
weakest. *I live in an area with no glass recycling and would rather learn how
to use this glass than carting to the land fill.

I have a hand held propane torch, various files and other standard household
tools, plus jewelry pliers.

At the moment I am attempting to turn wine bottle into drinking mugs. *I am
considering using a file to mark the break line to separate the top from the
main bottle. *Then reshape the top into a handle for the glass mug.

Anyone that could help me?

You need a kiln with a kiln sitter. The propane torch is not useful
here, certainly not for fusing. I cut a lot of bottles with a table
saw. Mine's made by Covington and uses a 6" diamond blade that spins
in a reservoir of water. There are other table saws available at
builders supply stores for less than $100. A table saw is much more
useful than a chop saw such as most tile setters use, because a table
saw allows use of bigger bottles and lets you make all sorts of cuts.
A good fume and dust mask is needed. Glass dust, even if wet, is
horrible in lungs. With the diamond blade you can cut fast. But the
faster you cut, the more cracks you get. Take it slow with little
pressure and rotate the bottle as you cut.

John Bassett
www.basglas.com