Old March 21st 06, 01:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

Default A pugged clay problem

J M wrote:
Just come in from a glazing session....its gonna be hot tonight...

In answer to some of the comments re the age of the clay....

Some of the clay is old - I bought it off my ex pottery tutor who used to
run his own pottery.. This clay is still in its original bags, but has been
standing for years; half of the bags are just too hard to work with, and the
other half are too soft - so I've been pugging both together. However, this
time I added some of my slagged clay which I had part dryed on plaster bats.

Pugmills are a worthy buy and save plenty of time, mine has been worth its
weight in gold (and my are they heavy). I bought mine second hand from Ebay
(a lot of pottery equipment comes up) - it's always worth looking at
second-hand buys. I'll be getting another one soon - for my grogged clay.
It's amazing how much my pugmill has cut down my clay orders, I don't seem
to be ordering half as much as I used to!

Somerset cider, well I'd rather drink it, but its worth a try...I don't
think I'll try the pee though. Perhaps I'll stop off on the way to Cornwall
(which is where my pottery is moving to - hopefully v soon).

Take care
JM
sniff - and I still have the cold =(

ps By the way - anyone know how to stop a puppy from eating clay??
Unfortunately my little one has developed a taste for it and is eating all
my profits away!!

the only way i stopped mine from eating clay (German shepard) was
waiting till he grew up... Stopped all on his own by the time he was a
year old...
Hugs
Eddie