View Single Post
Old December 19th 03, 11:17 PM
Harry
external usenet poster

Default Your polishing grit and walnut shell can be used over and over.

Here is another VERY GOOD tumbling tip!
This will save you alot of money, because the polishing grit
will last a very long time and can be used over and over and over.
You made need to add more grit, as you will lose some that has collected
on any items you may be polishing, when you wash them off.

How to save polishing grit and walnut shells

Your polishing grit and walnut shell can be used over and over.

There are 2 ways to save the polishing compounds when you have finished the polishing stage. The first way is to

sieve the contents through an old pair of pantyhose and just collect the walnut shell and polishing powder off that

storing it in a sealed container covered with water (so it doesn't dry out). This is the way I was told to do it,
but....as

of late I have figured out a better method.

Find yourself a small bucket that has a lid, tip the entire contents of your tumbler into this bucket (obviously the

bucket would have to have a bigger capacity than the tumbler or tumblers).

What ever room is left in your small bucket carefully fill with water to about 2 inches to the top.

Carefully remove the itemsfrom the bucket, trying to make sure you scrape off as much of the polish and walnut

shell as possible, a quick swirl in the mixture usually cleans most of it off (hence the extra water). Once all your

shells have been removed seal the bucket up and place it some where safe and out of the way.

When you need to polish again carefully take down your bucket, making sure not to disturb the contents. When you

open the bucket you should find the polishing material has settled to the bottom of the bucket.

Use a cup or some sort of container and remove as much clear water as possible. What you should have left is just

a soggy mess of polish powder and walnut shell. You can place this back into you tumbler/s using a little bit of

water to move the more stubborn stuff.

I hope many people find this to be very helpful and will try and use their tumblers to create and share the beauty
that comes from them. Thank you.

Harry's Happy Place
http://harryb41.homestead.com/HarrysHappyPlace.html

My Ebay Auctions
http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...sort=3&rows=50
Ads