Old June 14th 06, 06:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default LQS Complaints--Other shoe; same foot.

Howdy!

LOL!
Been there!

It's been a few years since I worked at the lqs
but when I go in--some things haven't changed. g

The most galling was the woman who owns a shop 40 miles north of here.
She only kept that shop open 1 or 2 days a week (one of those hobby
shop owners, Susan L.P.); she took her shop on the road once or twice,
always to the Dallas show because that's a biggie. So she was in the shop
w/ her friend/employee, asking one of my bosses (the quilter one)
all kinds of questions about running the shop. My boss was such a newbie
to this experience (a fabulous quilter, just not a business person),
she was actually trying to answer everything. When she had to refer to
her partner, K, I just rolled my eyes at K who had been taking it all in
from another room. K suddenly became deaf&dumb, wouldn't answer questions,
played she was on the phone. g Finally the woman from the other shop
got ready to leave, asking, "Btw, where's the nearest JoAnn or Cloth World
or Hancocks?" THEN we all gave her directions to get her out of the store.

Other just-not-thinking customers/students: loudly telling everyone where
she got her fabric (not here) and how much she saved--while sitting in the
classroom during a lesson; "I never buy the stuff they sell here!"

Bringing a quilt book to the cutting table and saying, "I want that
fabric!" without a clue as to how old the book is, who made the fabric,
or how many years it's been since that fabric was sold. But this customer
(& there are many of them) wants to make THAT quilt EXACTLY the way it
looks. Those of us who've quilted for years probably recognize the fabric
& know "it's no longer available"; we clerks offer alternatives but
sometimes the customer just gives up because it's not an EXACT match.

Coming to class with a machine she's never used, not even sure how to
turn it on--"I didn't take the new owner's class at the shop when I bought
this thing; why bother?" ...uh, because we don't have time or energy or
knowledge to teach you about it right now, lady! g

But, I enjoyed the job, the customers, the quilts, the fabric,
the shows, working the shows, all of it. I only quit when the cost of
hand cream became prohibitive (the finishing chemicals on the fabrics
eats up my skin-- pre-wash, pre-wash, pre-wash!) BG
and the bosses couldn't get along with each other.

The camaraderie you find in a good quilt shop can't be beat. When the
customers chime in, knowing their opinions & comments are welcome
when someone is asking about "what colors?" and "how do I do this part?"
and "where's a good place to eat around here?" And the customers in turn
include the employees in the fun they're having, too. ;-)

Working in retail's crazy anyway. 8-

Ragmop/Sandy --never met a stranger in a quilt shop

p.s. isn't it amazing that millions of people lived their lives
BEFORE the mobile phones came around?

On 6/14/06 11:00 AM, in article
, "joan8904 in Bellevue
Nebraska" wrote:

A disclaimer--I have worked for almost 2 years in my local LQS and I
love my job and the customers.

I do enjoy reading your comments regarding your local quilt stores,
both positive and negative. There's always something to learn and it's
good to hear from the customer viewpoint.

But, on the other hand, I could make (short) list of complaints that I
have about customers.
*Talking on cell phone while shopping and while being waited on.
*Taking cell phone calls during a class despite and despite a (gentle)
suggestion otherwise.
*Bringing unruly children into the store and letting them roam, crawl,
yell, etc.
*Coming into the store 15 minutes before closing time to select 15
fabrics for a color-wash trip around the world.
*Calling to see if we have a fabric from 5 years ago that you bought at
another store. No manufacturer name, no collection name. Just 'pink
with little white flowers.' I'll try, but don't expect a miracle.
*Attempting to return a kit you bought at another store.
*Coming in to pick up the Mystery Quilt clue and announcing in a very
loud voice that you're off to another quilt store to buy your fabric.
And you'll be back for all future clues. Of course.

It does help to have a good sense of humor when working in any retail
environment! :

joan