Old October 30th 06, 09:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Susie

Default porcelain firing

In message , Steve Mills
writes
Your post has jogged a memory; Doll makers both here and on your side of
the pond fire the heads embedded in Silica Sand. Maybe this would work
with Susie's Piece.
In addition I ran Susie's fibre technique past a Potter/Sculptor friend
who confirmed that it will work well and the only clean-up technique
needed would possibly be with a bit of fine sandpaper.

Steve

Morning Steve

I've just been out to the kiln and had a quick look. The dragons are
through the first firing to 1080C in one piece. I'm going to check that
there are no cracks, etc. I'm going to surround them in sheets of
ceramic fibre - under their tails, their armpits and wings - and fire
them up to 1240C later today. I don't think I'll be able to get near
them with sand paper or even an emery board, but tweezers and a brush
might well get residual fibre off. Failing which, could my dragons have
sprouted whiskers in the kiln?

All the group's postings have been so helpful and the latest one from
you has given me more confidence that this is going to work. Thanks.

Best wishes
Susie
--
Susie Thompson
If you can't stand the heat, don't tickle the dragon!