Old January 23rd 08, 05:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Maren at google

Default need advice on ring repair

On Jan 22, 4:59 pm, Ted Frater wrote:
wrote:
On Jan 21, 9:59 pm, "Peter W.. Rowe,"
wrote:

Thank you for such a detailed reply!!!
Your explanations made perfect sense. With the information you
provided, I will
know what to look for so I can educate myself further. I will also
look for the right place
to have the restoration job done.

I had no idea what I was getting into when I decided to do something
about that ring.
It's really not a small job, is it?
Thanks again!

O.

Ive had a look at the images you posted of this ring.
Im not a jeweller but a silversmith, so couldnt do the repairs needed.

[...]

Now the real question is who is competent to do this overhaul and supply
suitable replacement stones?

Certainly not me, I'm just a beader who occasionally comes by here,
but
I live in a rather small town and I found a jeweler here who I'd trust
with
a job like that - he builds up the setting on my wedding ring just
about
each time I take it in when the diamond gets loose, but that's just
plain
gold.
If there's somebody like that here you should be able to find one
where
you are. I found that people like that usually don't have big stores,
and
definitely not in malls. You're looking for an artist (a very skilled
one)
rather than for a salesperson.

Aloha,
Maren
HiloBeads: Beads - Findings - Hand-made Jewelry
http://www.hilobeads.com/