Old January 23rd 08, 02:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
ted frater

Default need advice on ring repair

wrote:
On Jan 21, 9:59 pm, "Peter W.. Rowe,"
wrote:

Thank you for such a detailed reply!!!
Your explanations made perfect sense. With the information you
provided, I will
know what to look for so I can educate myself further. I will also
look for the right place
to have the restoration job done.

I had no idea what I was getting into when I decided to do something
about that ring.
It's really not a small job, is it?
Thanks again!

O.

Ive had a look at the images you posted of this ring.
Im not a jeweller but a silversmith, so couldnt do the repairs needed.
However I do know whats good and this ring is in this caqtegory.
The shank , the gold part that goes around your finger appears not to
be worn, thats in its favour.
Also the design is quite charming .
so its well worth restoring. in my view.
The stones are like Peter has written . most probably set with silver
and the way they are set is called a rub over setting.
In view of its age and theway you would like to wear it, Id say all the
settings need to be replaced, so that it will have another 120 years or
so of useful life.

Now the real question is who is competent to do this overhaul and supply
suitable replacement stones?

Ted Frater
Dorset UK
Silversmith and minter.