Old January 6th 06, 07:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,alt.sewing

Default Placement of sewing machine

Jane MacDonald wrote:
Glacier My husband is making me a sewing table, just a piece of
countertop with a hole cut out, in which to set the sewing machine. The
problem I have with my present cabinet is that I can't sit directly in front
of the needle, but have to "lean to the left" to sew. I also find that the
needle is too far away, 10.5 inches from the edge of the table. With this
new table I will be able to sit directly in front of the machine, but I
don't know how far from the edge it should be.
Tables such as the ones made by Horn appear to have the machine closer
to the edge. Can anyone tell me what works best for you? I was thinking 4-6
inches from the edge of the table to the needle.
Opinions?

TIA,
Jane

I like mine further from the edge for flatbed sewing, especially of
larger items like wedding dress skirts and coat pieces, as it helps to
support the garment, and a little closer for free-arm stuff. I'd love
to have a cut-out so my machine bed was at table height, but it isn't
possible with the present set-up. I *do* have the machine set so I am
in front of the needle. It's not a big issue for me (good job really,
when I use the treadle!), but it is handy and makes for more accurate
seaming.

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!