Old August 12th 08, 01:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

Default While you stitch - who's watching the Olympics

On 8/11/08 11:27 PM, in article ,
"Jangchub" wrote:

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 12:42:35 +1000, Trish Brown
wrote:

Pppbbblllffftt! You guys aren't alone in the partisan camp! Here in Oz,
all we hear about is Libby Trickett and Grant Hackett (both swimmers) as
if they were the only athletes competing on our behalf. Never mind that
the Oz equestrian team is doing *marvellously* well against frightful
odds. I think the TV would explode if we got more than the obligatory
five minutes of coverage per week.

It's no secret that I'm an equestrian tragic, but I'd like to see other
sports as well. Last night, I had to sit up until 1am to see the gallant
weightlifters from Colombia and Korea and China battle it out in the
62kg division. I know nothing about weightlifting, but gee it was great
to watch! I wouldn't mind seeing the kayaking or the fencing or the
taekwondo either, but all I get is a steady diet of swimming and beach
volleyball.

Hnnnnnnnhhh!!!

NB. Here's two gems for you, courtesy of the Australian Olympic TV coverage:

When the Oz team failed to win the women's 400m relay, an intelligent
commentator remarked 'Not to bag the little 16-year-old new entry, but
if she had only gotten off the block a fraction of a second more
quickly, this race would've been in the bag for Libby Trickett.'

Hellooo? It was a team relay race...

An even more intelligent (?) commentator observed during Lucinda
Fredericks' flawless dressage test 'A wag of the tail from the horse!
That'll be points deducted for Lucinda!' AND HE WAS SERIOUS!

Oh for Pete's sake. I'm not sure which country is worse. I adore
horses and riding, but I am always so afraid if I watch a horse will
somehow get injured. When Barbero broke his leg I was unconsolable. I
refrained from watching till that sorrowful day when that beautiful
philly broke her ankles and had to be put down right there.

Now the only horse shows I watch are on the RFD Satellite channel.
Now, for those hysterically laughing at me, I adore Mules. Big,
shiny, Asian eyed mules. They have special mule training shows.
That's my speed.

I ADORE RFD - it lets me give the DD a taste of "country life" that she
won't see other wise.