Old August 12th 08, 12:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

Default While you stitch - who's watching the Olympics

On 8/11/08 10:38 PM, in article ,
"Jangchub" wrote:

On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 21:03:48 -0400, "Dr. Brat"
wrote:

Jangchub wrote:

My point is not to slam the sport. But this pushing and pushing and
pushing is not healthy. When Olga Corbet and Nadia were in the sport
and you could get a 10, it was fun to watch. Now the judges are not
impartial, do carry prejudice, will react based on the home court
effect and any number of things.

Let's not rewrite history here. Nadia Comeneci was the first gymnast
ever to get a perfect 10 at the Olympics. I don't think Olga Korbut
ever did. But even (or perhaps, especially) then, the judges were not
impartial, did carry prejudice, reacted based on home court effect, and
often split along pro-Soviet/pro-US lines.

Elizabeth

I didn't say Olga got a ten. I made reference to them in the same
sentence, but just to name a few gymnasts who were brilliantly
talented, not tortured through childhood as parents do these days.
Everybody has to win. Bull. Not everyone wins and it's okay.

You might want to go read some of the bios for those ladies. They were at
"schools" much like the ones run today.

Cheryl