Old April 11th 04, 01:13 AM
-SP-

"Peter W. Rowe" pwrowe@ixDOTnetcomDOTcom wrote in message
On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 13:42:03 -0700, in rec.crafts.jewelry "-SP-"

wrote:

"Eddie" wrote in message
. ..
Hi all!
My customer wants to have "back" her silverchain, so is there

some
(easy
way) to remove gold plating from silverchain?

Yes, if you have the means, propane or other, tumbler etc, then

just
burn the plating off, let it cool a little, pickle it, and then
shot-barrel it.

Get the chain to just 'under' cherry red, and follow the above.
Works for me.

This will work IF the chain was sterling silver with no additional

plating, at
the time it was gold plated. many silver chains on the market are

rhodium
plated to prevent tarnishing.

Well, I can only speak from experience Peter. Yes, my experience
has been with silver items that are only gold plated, but in 20 odd
years, I can't say that I've ever come across a silver chain that's
been plated with rhodium. Silver plating after polishing? Yes, but not
rhodium plating. How strange. Perhaps it's unique to America at the
moment? I wouldn't have a clue...

-SP-

Peter