Old August 20th 03, 09:53 PM
Diana Curtis

Im glad you added your story to this thread.
And Im so glad you found your way here to rctq!
Good luck on your chemo!
hugs,
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

"Ann Adamson" wrote in message
I haven't been spending too much time online in the past few days -
getting psyched up for my 2nd chemo. So I've missed this long, but
interesting I'm sure, thread. Not sure If I'll ever be able to wade
through the whole thing, though I've "browsed" some of the answers here
and there.

I began quilting in early 2001. May I think. I hadn't sewn much since
my home ec class in middle school, and before that just a bit with my
mom. But I always loved crafting of almost any kind.

Anyway, my dad had passed away in 2000 and I had gotten the idea of
making some memory quilts in his honor to give to my siblings
(incidentally, to date, I'm the only sibling that doesn't have one --
yet). I saw something like that in a catalog and loved the idea of it.
I just love the soft and tactile aspect of the fabrics mixed with the
warm memories from treasured photos.

Anyway, I was talking about it with a friend, and she mentioned that she
had started quilting with another friend in the past months and they
were taking some classes at a LQS. She asked if I would like to take a
class, but I couldn't commit to an evening class because of our schedule
with kids baseball and scouts and etc. And the daytime classes were out
of the question anyway because we both work. But I asked her tons of
questions and went with her to the LQS and bought a book or two and
ordered some fabric and a new sewing machine online and plunged right
in. And I haven't had a break ever since. I like to make small quilted
projects as gifts, and thus I mostly like to stick with simple patterns.
Someday I hope to make a project just for me, and I would really like
to tackle a Lone Star and also make a queen bed-size Irish Chain. But,
those are "stretch goals" for me. Mostly I like to make memory quilts,
WH's, baby quilts, doll quilts, snuggle/lap quilts. And my new favorite
short project - tote bags!

I found rctq because my friend had been lurking for a while, and was
always talking about hints and stuff she found here. I subscribed and
lurked just a bit before jumping right in! I really enjoyed that this
was such a warm and welcoming place. And I got a LOT of help. So, even
when the group seems to go through a "quilting lull" (where there seems
to be more OT posts and rants going than talking about quilting) I stick
it out and wait for someone to post a quilting question or tip, or even
better - pictures of projects -- my VERY FAVORITE reason to stick around
in rctq! They are so inspiriational!

Whew!

Ann

Diana Curtis wrote:
Im recovering well... certain things coming in the mail keep my spirits

up,
thank you muchly! But the days linger long sometimes. I havent energy to

do
much yet, but you, yes YOU, have the power to entertain and amuse me if

you
feel like it, and I hope you do...
Would you please tell me how you came to post at RCTQ, and why you stay,

and
how you came to be a quilter and what you hope to find in your quilting
future. Maybe everyone else will get some pleasure in reading these ..

then
I wont feel so selfish! lol
Thanks in advance,
Diana the slightly bored