Old August 19th 03, 06:28 AM
Donna in Idaho

I have really enjoyed reading everyone's stories!!

I learned to sew at the age of 9 (that would have been in 1944) when I
begged my Mother to let me join 4-H - we weren't supposed to join 4-H until
we were 10. So, the powers-that-be let me join, but I wasn't allowed to
exhibit my sewing projects at the County Fair until I was 10.

Didn't know anyone that quilted until 1970 after I moved to Arizona. Up
until then I sewed lots of clothes, curtains, etc. One of my friends (and
her daughters) in Arizona made what she called 'tear quilts.' They would
tear fabric into four inch strips, sew the strips into big long strips and
roll them up into balls. Then they would start cutting the strips to the
width that they wanted their quilts to be. I loved her quilts & really
wanted to make one, but at that time we barely had the money for clothes and
food - nothing extra for quilts.

Fast forward to late 1982 - first granddaughter was born. A friend of mine
gave me copies of instructions for making a log cabin quilt that she had
gotten in a class she took. Bought the fabric, knowing nothing about
contrasting sides of log cabins and made my first quilt. I actually have a
picture of that quilt on my website - just took the picture a couple years
ago (Talena still has that quilt).

Since that time I've made more quilts and wall hangings and lap quilts than
I can count.

In March 1997 we finally were able to get internet access (without having to
pay long distance) out here in the boonies and I found rctq in June 1997.
Since that time I've met several rctq'ers in person. It's wonderful how you
feel like they are old friends the minute you meet.

Went to the 1999 Houston quilt show and met several rctq'ers. From Houston,
Wayne (my DH) and I went to visit Sarah in Las Cruces - what fun that was!
Paul and Suzie got there about 4 days after we did. We offered to chauffeur
Paul and Suzie for a few days and were certainly glad we did. We had a
wonderful time with them. One of the things they wanted to see while they
were in New Mexico was the Very Large Array (radio telescopes - here's a
link to a really neat picture
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap000530.html) so off we went for a two day
jaunt through central New Mexico. We also made a big dent in the inventory
of the two quilt shops in Las Cruces. Paul actually picked out the frog
fabric that I used for my granddaughter's (Talena again!) graduation quilt.

In 1998 I became SW Idaho Coordinator for Project Linus so my quilting has
taken on a completely new dimension - making quilts for at-risk kids that
need a hug. Not that I've made even a fraction of the blankets (quilts or
afghans) that our chapter has donated - 3,511 blankets as of today!!!!!! We
have lots of wonderful 'blanketeers' in our chapter.

So, that's my story! I really do believe that this ng is the best! I
treasure the friends I've made - both in cyberspace and face-to-face!
--
Donna in Idaho!
Project Linus Boise/SW Idaho Coordinator

The ultimate inspiration is the deadline!

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
Im recovering well... certain things coming in the mail keep my spirits

up,
thank you muchly! But the days linger long sometimes. I havent energy to

do
much yet, but you, yes YOU, have the power to entertain and amuse me if

you
feel like it, and I hope you do...
Would you please tell me how you came to post at RCTQ, and why you stay,

and
how you came to be a quilter and what you hope to find in your quilting
future. Maybe everyone else will get some pleasure in reading these ..

then
I wont feel so selfish! lol
Thanks in advance,
Diana the slightly bored