View Single Post
Old August 18th 03, 07:27 PM
external usenet poster
Posts: n/a

Diana, so glad you are recovering.

I discovered rctq a couple years ago. I didn't read the posts on a regular
basis but when I stopped in I enjoyed the posts and kept thinking that I
needed to jump in. It wasn't until very recently that I took the plunge,
and now read every day. I stay because you are a very knowledgeable group
of people and your help and suggestions are invaluable. I don't think I
have come across a question that went unanswered.

My Mom taught me how to sew at a very young age. I remember cutting out
patterns with Mom's right handed scissors until my poor left hand was numb.
It wasn't until I was an adult that I owned my first pair of left handed
scissors!!. I sewed until I got married, then made curtains, baby clothes,
doll clothes and dresses from my nieces. Once my boys got into school I
put the sewing on hold for a while. About 20 years ago (maybe longer) I
took my first quilting class. Prior to the class we were given our supply
list for the rail fence pattern. My selection of fabric was a mixture of
cottons and poly cottons. What did a 20 something year old know!! I
enjoyed the coming together of that quilt. I was amazed that 6 fabrics,
sewn together in different order, turned this way or that way could create a
different effect.

During my sons growing up years I had little time to myself, but took a few
quilting classes. Classes were great because you could attend, do your
cutting and sewing without the interruptions of children and hubby. I didn'
t *need* a class, but I found classes to be a great motivator.

My Mom quilted and was a very good at it. Many of her quilts were hand
quilted. She always had projects on the go, and at various stages of
completion. She had blocks to appliqué that were easy to take along, she
had pieces cut out to sew on the machine, she had squares cut out ready to
sew together, quilts ready to hand quilt. Mom was diagnosed with ovarian
cancer and the chemo treatments started shortly thereafter. It was not
meant to be. From the time of diagnosis to the time she passed away was 6
months. She spent the majority of that time in hospital. On Mother's Day
last year all of her family, all 13 of us, gathered at the hospital with Mom
and her quilts. The nurses so kindly let us use the dining room and we set
out all of her quilts. All our names were put in a hat and as a name was
pulled out we picked a quilt to call our own. Everyone got 3 quilts, Mom
had that many!! After she passed away, and dividing up her things, as I was
the only quilter in the family, I got Mom's quilting supplies, frames and
gadgets and stashes and all of her works in progress.

So, my future quilting plans involve finishing Mom's projects, or at least
learning what to do to finish. Which involves techniques I haven't done
before, and decisions on how they go together. I will never lack something
"quilty" to do