Old August 5th 06, 12:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Bill DeWitt

Default Homemade propane nozzle?

"Richard Kaszeta" wrote :

I must ask, however, why?

Thanks for your response, Richard.

As I am working with a ridiculously small 2 in. sq. (8 cu in) kiln, I
was thinking about more evenly distributing the output of a propane torch by
having the four corners of the floor drilled for small nozzles. Unless I
have some knowledge about the actual science of nozzle design though, I
can't see creating anything efficient enough to warrant the effort. Unless I
know what I am doing, it would be easier to just add a second torch at cross
purposes.

For instance, I found a reference that implies that the traditional bend
in a propane torch is there for a reason other than making the flame angle
adjustable. The article did not state so, but I suspect that it more fully
mixes the air/propane flow before it hits the expansion chamber. I could
accomplish that with an offset Bernoulli type air port, or even an
adjustable set screw-like protruding perturbance if I knew for sure that was
the reason.

I'll be pestering Google for the next few hours but if someone reading
this knows a little more than I do, some hints about accurate search terms
or even a link for actual nozzle design would be a blessing.