Old August 27th 04, 12:49 AM

"Helen Halla Fleischer" wrote in message
| On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 21:24:49 GMT, "Jason" wrote:

Thanks for the reply. That is along the lines of what I was thinking of
doing only maybe protruding a bit more. Are you aware of any other
oven-bake clays that are suitable? I have done a few searches and many

seem
to recommend Sculpey in this category, that's what first set me to using

it.
I thought of maybe an air-dry clay but I just will not be able to

complete
the work in one sitting, or day for that matter.
Thanks again.

I find it's worth the extra money to use Premo.
In a pinch you can strengthen sculpey a little by painting the cured piece
with liquid sculpey and re-baking.

Helen "Halla" Fleischer, Fantasy & Fiber Artist
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/
Balticon Art Program Coordinator http://www.balticon.org

Well I tried baking three pieces 1/4" think for reference. All the pieces
came out semi-hard after 20min and hardened a bit more after cooling but are
not brittle. It is hard enough for the purpose I need but the biggest
disappointment is that the color changed a lot. It started as white but is
now beige with dark splotches here and there. One was baked at 265F, one at
275F, and the third at 300F all for 20 min and all look the same. I have a
very old oven though and I suspect that is the culprit, is what I described
a product of over-baking or charring? Also I was under the impression that
it would be brittle like glass, instead it is like very hard rubber. Like I
said that will work but is that how it is supposed to be? I may take a trip
to a local thrift store this weekend in search of a toaster oven to test it
in.

Thanks