Old December 23rd 09, 03:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay
milo

Default Casting in Sculpey for Miniatures

I use RTV silicon for my molds all the time and I bake sculpey into them.
The silicon is a two-part putty that you knead together in equal quantities.
It allows 5 minutes for actually making the mold, then it starts to harden.
It is quite flexible and does not stick to the clay.

Hope this helps!
Marcella - minicaretti

In [MESSAGGIO], LoopyWolf, il 18/12/09 21.39 ha scritto:

For Xmas, I want to make small press-out parts for miniatures, that I
and a friend can paint and play with over the holidays.

I was thinking the best way would be to make the minis in re-useable
pieces (head, arms, legs) and the mold out of a very firm but flexible
material, and press sculpey into the mold and then stick the pieces
together, cook, paint and play.

I've made a few attempts with various molds pressing ordinary Sculpey
into the mold and while the details are very faithfully caught the
piece gets highly deformed as I tugged it out of the mold, and at the
edges where it was pulling free.

I was wondering if I wouldn't be better off by working the sculpey till
it is warm, pressing it into the mold, then letting it cool or even
chilling it, then using a much more flexible molding material (silicon,
dragon skin, etc) which I would peel away from the piece.

I also toyed with the idea of pressing a huge knob of Sculpey into the
mold and then cutting the piece and mold away from the knob rather than
trying to retrieve a piece alone from the mold.

I was wondering if anyone out there had any better suggestions for how
to do this?