Old September 16th 04, 08:00 PM
Su/Cutworks

Kathy N-V wrote:

Second: Gold Filled. It's gold mechanically bonded to a base metal
and is hundreds or thousands of times thicker than the gold in "gold
plated" stuff. The gold will not wear off in the normal course of
things, and should last a lifetime. Because the gold is mechanically
layered onto the base metal, it cannot be cast, so it comes in a
lousy variety as well.

Third: Vermeil. It's the same as gold plated stuff, but it's silver
instead of base metal underneath. The gold will wear off, and
relatively quickly. Comes in a wide variety of styles, though, and
if it's used in a place where it isn't rubbed, like spacers between
larger beads, it'll be all right.

Thanks. I was not sure about these two, so was wavering between which to
use on a regular basis. Your explanation was not only useful but succinct,
and exactly what I needed. As always this group is the place where I feel I
can get help if needed.

So, now I'm off to order gold filled findings for something special I am
working on.

Did I mention you're a star? It's true.

-Su