Old March 23rd 04, 08:12 AM
lula

Hi Anne,

As I figured, you're a very creative stitcher......just needing a few
pointers in the right direction now and then! We all benefit from these
creative "pushes" from others periodically.

It's wonderful that you're going to continue to do more fun
characters......those names you title them with add that extra bit of
fun to the imagination! Like having a cherry added on top!

Have you thought of making these embroideries into three dimensional
figures such as cloth "dolls"?

I literally dance around with joy whenever I come up with a workable new
over the top character........it's a major accomplishment being able to
capture the just right expressions of these "funny" faces on gridded
canvas.

Today, I decided to stitch a model of Madame La Zora & Co, the over the
top fortune teller with her cat companions......she's the gleeful lady
on the front page of web site......

The only negative is my canvas to stitch is not the beautifully painted
model I did earlier but only a blank canvas that I outlined verey
lightly with a micron pen.......so pretty much, I'm stitching and
designing as I go......

I've already frogged a few inches of stitching in the short time I was
stitching. One can't be faint hearted to "frog" if one wants to capture
the just right expression of the faces, especially the eyes! These
details makes or breaks my whole design as my work depends heavily on
expressive lines.

The fun part was filling a large basket full of pretty colors and
textures of whatever threads I might need to create my "masterpiece"
model!
This needlepoint of Madame La Zora & Co is my "work" stitching......my
FUN stitching is to be an embroidery, a really fun piece titled More
Bitch than Stitch.....there's a computer screen with little puffs of
smoke and tiny flames shooting out......have already done a fun sketch
of the project so far.
I'd like to intergrate humorous text using decorative fonts into the
design along with all sorts of fun embellishments and so on.
---
Lula
http://www.woolydream.com
Needlework Adventures

anne wrote:

lula said

Hmmmm, where did I get this feeling you weren't exactly going for the
ladylike, elegant look for your fan design?

I may surprise us both and buy some fancy threads for that fan one of these
days. There's a gorgeous design, complete with how to's in a book that I'm too
lazy to go upstairs to get the name of. Before attempting that project, I need
to practise laying down an evenly spaced trellis.

hahaha, thanks to you, I decided to let my imagination go
and have some real fun creating my next embroidery.

ooooooh, I can't wait to see what an real artiste comes up with

One doesn't need to use shading to add depth to a design........you can
use pattern to add depth, for example doing a check border in an area,
in another, do some stripes, then add some dots, these patterns can be
in bright colors or subdued by using more pastel and close colors .
Many artists will use pattern instead of just shading their artwork to
add depth to their work.

I'm slowly coming to realize that I don't need to recreate the original exactly
or duplicate the intricate color schemes of cross stitch charts to create
something that pleases me. FYI, my WIP began life as Clementine Clothcollector
in a red dress and a blue hat. She's morphed into Velma Vacationer with a red
hat and turquoise dress ;-)

--
another Anne, add ingers to frugalf to reply