Old September 30th 03, 12:42 AM
Diego

Normally, an insurance company doesn't even inquire about such things.
The only thing an agent or company would ask, and only at the time of
application, is if you conduct any business on premises. If the answer
at the time of application is "no", but you enter into a business later,
then,
most contracts require you to notify your agent or company if any such
business is entered into after the issuance of the policy. Now, if you
state
"no" because you are treating your pottery avocation as a hobbie, and not
a "for profit" business, then you don't even need to disclose it. You are
just as likely to burn down your home from a faulty electric dryer. A
professionally installed or, at least, inspected kiln would be sufficient
with the proper venting, etc. if no business is intended no matter whether
in your home or in a separate structure and will not affect your home
insurance. The only other concern you will have is if you are
in violation of any zoning laws applying to use of kilns in residential
areas. That, of course, is a matter for the city or county you live in to
decide.

If you are treating it as a business, (and a good claims adjuster will
do the research) then you must disclose it to your insurance carrier and
they might put on a "business pursuits" endorsement on your policy and
charge you extra. Be careful with this. There is a very short list of
eligible businesses allowed on premises. Mostly, they look at whether
customers are allowed to enter the premises for browsing or purchasing.
I would suggest that, if you declare it a business, that you do assure
your agent that no customers will come on premises; that your goods are
taken to another commercial location for sale or only shipped via "Brown"
from your doorstep. Your approach should be: What if I put in a kiln
and want to start a business? I just would hate to see your policy get
"nonrenewed" needlessly, which they can and probably will do if you
don't approach it properly. Right now, with the new Terrorist Act
of 2002 that puts a percentage of loss responsibility on the backs of the
insurance companies, "Mold Exclusion" issues that most coastal states are
dealing with and recent historical declines in insurance company reserves
due to poor performance in investments (ie. Enron, World Com, and all
the other blue chip darlings), homeowner insurance companies have the
safeties off and their fingers are on the non-renewal triggers.

Hope this helps.

Diego

"Don" wrote in message
om...
The kiln was only used as a hobby, some ceramics and pottery. It never
saw heavy usage. The inside looks new, bricks looks good. It just a
little rusty on the lower legs from sitting in the basement. 220V 45
AMP electric hook-up.

A side question I have - How is one's homeowners insurance premium
effected if I have this hooked up in my house? Would it be wise to
install it in a detached garage?

Don