Old December 18th 03, 11:16 AM
NightMist

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 11:32:39 -0000, "Janner"
wrote:

What's your favourite Christmas food or recipe or tradition?

Just thought that I'd ask, as we like to decorate the tree as close to
Christmas as possible, stay up late, eat too much etc on Christmas Eve! So
we've started before Christmas Day, mind you the turkey lasts beyond Boxing
Day!

Gosh this is a hard question!

We have made our own traditions, adopting some inventing others.
DH's parents are long since dead and mine live 1500 miles away, so we
have made Christmas our own. I love all of it.

Getting up at the buttcrack of dawn on the 13th to dress up a DD and
make sure she doesn't set her hair or anything else on fire (she gets
to wear a wreath with candles in it on her head), then going back to
bed so she can bring DH and me Saint Lucy buns in bed. This year Ash
got to help wearing a poofy white shirt, a pointy hat and sparkly
stars. (My grandpa, mom's stepdad, was Swedish)

Decorating the tree for hours because nobody can agree on where
anything goes (except for Piglet and his star).

Measuring the littlest kid's mouth on Christmas eve, so I know how big
to make the lasagna noodles (even if we are buying them that year).

Chasing after the kids with a wooden spoon and issuing dire threats
while they laugh at me, after the annual (and now traditional) kugel
snatching.

That warm, snuggly feeling after all the kids are in bed on Christmas
eve, and the lights are out and just the tree is on.

Holding hands around the Christmas tree after cocoa on Christmas
morning and singing the Who's (down in Whoville) Christmas song.

Favorite foods? Since I am reactive hypoglycemic, and have to eat
carefully to avoid passing out, I enjoy the cooking more than the
eating. Watching others moan about their weight while wistfully
eyeing the plate of cookies or the slice of cake they are going to
eat, is very fun. (EG)

Blitz kuchen (has been dubbed "the swedish crack")
Isli cookies
My ever impressive fruitcake
marshmallows always amaze and astound
My gingerbread architecture is always fun to make and fun to watch the
kids try to figure out how to eat.
liquid center cherries which amaze more than the marshmallows (easy
peasy, just soak the cherries in brandy or other proof liquor for a
week or so before wrapping them in fondant and dipping them in
chocolate, or add a few of drops of glucose before wrapping them if
you want to avoid the alcohol, and let them ripen for 2 weeks before
eating them)
Christmas pudding with charms in it

My personal favorites are Miz Ragmop's seven layer dip
(I've been corrupted by a texan!), tangerines, pomegranetes and nuts
in the shell.

NightMist

--

My karma ran over my dogma