Old September 15th 06, 07:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
will1

Default What is the Quality of Gems TV stock (Please see inside)

Although I rarely buy stones these days, I do catch a TV gemshow now and
then to see what's out there. The values and quality of what you see on the
TV screen are par. Once in awhile, there are some real bargains with the
rare collector type stones, but even then, none has yet moved me to make a
purchase. I figure that I can pick up the same material at the Tucson show,
if I was motivated.
I have two suggestions:
One, take a few select samples of the gems your dad already bought to a
competent jeweler and have him or her give you an appraisal. Tell the
appraiser the reason for the appraisal (this is important). Show your dad
the result.

Two, buy a good beginners gem book ( the larger book stores carry them) for
your dad. Why? Why kill his passion for stones? Why not encourage him to
learn more about the subject. It is a wonderful hobby. Have him join a gem
and mineral club nearby. Turn it into a positive. The girls should get their
favorite gem gift set into a ring or pendant. Make your dad feel that He is
a gem of a dad. And the rest of the family, you might be the ones that need
to see a shrink, ( Get the appraisal first). Will E.

"anyone" wrote in message
Hi I hope this isn't too off topic but I'm concerned about my Dad - he
seems to have become obsessed with buying the female members of the family
as much Gems TV stuff as he can get hold of - he is convinced it is all
top
quality stuff at bargain prices. I'm no expert but having looked at their
stuff, examined the wording of their descriptions - I am sure that they
can't possibly be selling one thousand dollar rings for one hundred &
fifty
dollars. I even saw a Tanzanite piece the other month supposedly worth
thirty thousand dollars being offered for four thousand. I think they sell
low grade stuff at low grade prices - what do the experts on this forum
think?
And are there any other similar operations or shop chains in the US &
Europe we should avoid buying from?
regards
anyone