Old September 23rd 04, 07:17 AM
Ellice

lula wrote:

Geez, as if I don't have enough to do........but using a Russian punch
needle is a technique I've been wanting to try for many years and
finally after seeing finished samples here and there and talking to my
fellow designer friend Pam Kellogg who has been "playing" with her set
of needles, I purchased a set of these punch needles.

My set came from a company known as the original Russian Punch Needle
company that spells the name as IGOLOCHKOY.

*snip*

Overall, I'm looking forward to experimenting with the punch needle
using a combination of other embroidery techniques, different textured
threads, yarns and embellishments hoping to give all my projects that
"unique" look whether used on clothing or in decorative design.

Lula, isn't this just tooooo addictive. I resisted for a while, but at the
shop one of the owner's friends designs specifically punchneedle projects,
and distributes for Igolochkov (if you've been to Nashville, might've met
Ellen). Anyhow, she teaches a class at the store a couple of times a year,
and they shamed me into it a couple of years ago. Theory being - it's so
much fun, requires less concentration, etc - and is darn fast.

Some of her designs have been adorable little micro-mini purses, brooches,
bands for pillows. We've done some with various threads - silk/wool blend
even, and it's awesome for overdyed floss. One of the tricks we learned was
to actually trim the little sleeves to different lengths which would then
change the depth of the loop. Just cut'em with a razor. I have my whole
little kit in a nice wooden needle box - they fit exactly. I've done most
of mine on quilters cotton (high quality - some on hand-dyes), and it's the
only time I use a hoop - drum tight.

I bet your designs look fantastic. SamSarah/Just Another Button Company
sent some designs for punchneedle to the shop - which we did, and
embellished them of course with their buttons.

Have fun - in case you weren't busy enough. We should get you to come on
one of the Metro DC outings (Stitching Post in Baltimore next Tuesday) !

Ellice