Old March 25th 04, 10:19 PM
annemarie

"dkat" wrote in message
. net...
This really isn't the way to kill a thread.... Maybe set it on fire...
Potters are one of the few groups out there in suburbia that actually

needs
some type of truck (for hauling kilns, ware, etc) and might justify having

SUV as they now stand. The lawyer driving to the commuter station,
briefcase in tow, on the other hand really doesn't. In fact 90% of SUV
owners do not need and should not have a SUV until the SUVs meet pollution
standards the same as other personal vehicles. There are plenty of

vehicles
that will carry a bunch of kids (which is the excuse most suburbanites

use)
that also follow the requirements to keep pollution low and that don't put
other people in danger. It isn't the 10% that actually need a SUV which
people in general have a gripe with, it is the 90% that don't. Of that

90%
who do I would say at least 50% of them put other people at risk by the

way
they drive (at least on Long Island... you know that place with ALL those
off road terrains that you need SUVs for?). The commercials you see

aren't
geared for people that need a truck. They are for people that want to be
"Cool". That is what I think this tread started on. The feeling that we

as
a country do not value potters and that is relevant to the group. Or at
least I think it is.

Good reply. I have absolutely no problem with people having vehicles with
off road capability who really need that. I do have a problem with people
driving them around city streets because they think they are safer (they are
not) and cool (they are not)
They pollute, they are more prone to rolling, bull bars should only be legal
for farmers, not for mowing down pedestrians. I believe that they alter
some driver behaviour. Some people become more aggressive because they
incorrectly feel safer.
I am absolutely sure that I will not make very much money with pottery and I
could not afford to be doing it if I was supporting the family. My husband
however works too.