Old February 4th 05, 04:30 PM
Ted Frater

Charlie wrote:
Does anyone know the relevant law for the UK that covers such things? Like,
if I make a silver necklace I usually put a commercially bought .925 tag on
it, but I want to start stamping my wire worked pieces. Do I have to send
things away to have them done, or can I do them in my own home?

Charlie.

The law in the uk is as follows.
IF you offer for sale any precious metal object described as silver or
gold etc over the minimun weight it has to have a hallmark thereon and
conform to the minimum quality standards.. It also has to have a makers
mark. you can put this on yourself. the Hall mark is put on by the assay
office. This is not free and if you contact the London one youll get all
the info on prices etc.
If you offer for sale the same precious metal but call it white or
yellow metal you dont need to have it assayed, nor if you make it for
yourself or give it away. Nor can you incorporate other base metals
soldered to the precious ones and have it hall marked. they wont do it.
At no time can you call it silver or gold if you dont have it assayed
and marked..
Thats how electronics and electrical equipment makers incorporate gold
and silver in their products and they dont need to conform to the hall
marking acts.

Its not very economic for one offs unless you can get a high price for it.
hope this helps