Old January 27th 04, 06:50 PM
frood

Avast, ye landlubbers! I know there's more o' ye just dying to fondle some
batiks. Join the fun o' the Pirate swap! Booty! Did I mention booty? It's
not to late to sign up. Email me if you need more details.

--
Mad Jenny Bonney, the Pirate Swapper
De-Fang email address to reply
"frood" wrote in message
m...
Notice this is not marked "OT" because it's not! Arr!

Ahoy, Mateys! Relief from the Winter doldrums is at hand! All of you in
cold-weather climes are tired of the cold, and everyone else is tired of

the
complaints about cold. Tends to take the fun out o' slatherin' suntan

lotion
on the cat, ya know.

So, avast ye seadogs and landlubbers alike, 'tis time for a swap! And I'll
try to keep the pirate-speak to a minimum, but no guarantees! Arrr!

These are the Official Rules. If you don't play by the rules, you'll be
keelhauled and sent down to Davy Jones' locker to feed the fishes. If you
are thinking "oh, that doesn't mean *me*" you are addlepated and wrong!
Others are counting on equal participation by all players.

1) We are swapping Fat Eighths or FEs (18"x 11"{1/4WOF - see Note 1

below})
of 100% cotton batik fabric. Not fabric *printed* to look like batiks, but
really honest-to-goodness batik (see Note 2 below). Please measure and cut
carefully. If your fabric is noticeably wonky or short of 18", it will be
sent back to you, unswapped, accompanied by a pirate wielding a cat o'nine
tails.

2) We are swapping sets of 8 FEs. You may send up to 3 sets, if you use
DIFFERENT fabrics for each set. I cannot guarantee you will get back 3
completely different sets, but I'll try. So, you send me 8 FEs of the same
fabric, and you get back 8 FEs of fabric, all different.

3) I prefer to swap washed, ironed (but NOT starched) fabric. If for some
reason, you cannot wash your fabric before you send it, please mark *each*
FE with a note that says "not washed"!!!!! I will be washing my fabric,

and
I live in a smoke-free home. Your fabric will be fondled, at least by me,
and if you are very lucky and have good taste, me swabbies Giles and Spike
will give it a fondle, too! However, all fabric will be kept in excellent
condition. I do have a dog, but he is not allowed free access to fabric,

and
I will do my best to keep his fur away from all swaps.

4) Send your fabric in a plastic bag, or other wrapping (I see saran-type
wrap alot), to keep it safe on it's journey, and enclose your name and
address in the wrapping, in case of envelope rippage. Use a separate

baggie
for each set, please. Send a self-addressed envelope with return postage
(not metered!!!) in with your swap.

5) Non-USA participants email me for mailing instructions.

6) Mail your package so it arrives in my hands by Feb. 10, and I will mail
the swaps back out by Feb. 13th. (Arrr! It's not an unlucky day for
pirates!) This gives even overseas procrastinators time to participate.

7) Email me privately to sign up and get my mailing address.

8) If you sign up, but find you cannot participate, please send me a note
to let me know not to expect anything from you. Stuff happens, no big. But

note will give me a heads up, so I don't sit by the mailbox, harassing me
landlubber mailman w' me cutlass everyday. Tends to make him edgy.

NOTE 1: To cut the FEs, cut 4 FQs in half, parallel to the selvedge to

make
8 pieces each 18" by 1/4WOF. Four of these pieces will have selvedges, 4
will not. If you need more detailed instructions, email me.

To ensure that you have 1 yard of washed fabric, since a small amount of
shrinkage is possible, I advise buying a bit more than 1 yard. If you buy

1
1/2 yards, not only will you have the right amount to swap, you will get

keep a large piece for yourself. Batik does not shrink much, since it has
been boiled, however some LQSs are not terribly accurate at cutting. I'd
hate for a swap to be rejected because the store clerk's glasses were
crooked. Arrr.

Note 2: Cotton batik fabrics are made by applying a design with wax,

using
stamps or painting tools, then dyeing the fabric. The fabric is boiled to
remove the wax, and the underlying color is revealed. The wax resists the
dye. The fabric can be dyed, then have wax applied, then dyed again,
allowing for multiple color designs. One of the characteristics of batiks

is
that both sides of the fabric are almost identical. There is no obvious
"wrong" side of the fabric. Another characteristic is that there is very
little give, or stretch, to the fabric. We are *NOT* swapping rayon

batiks.
Although those are gorgeous fabrics, that is not what this swap is about.

Questions? Email me, Mad Jenny Bonney the Pirate Swapper (aka frood aka
Wendy) : MamaBoo at GriffinsFlight dot com And no, that's not a

Nancy-boy
email address. Arrr!
--
Wendy