Old February 10th 05, 05:47 PM
David Billington

You want to be carefull using the parallel port, the circuitry has very
little drive capability and should be buffered. If driving a relay uou
should also add a diode to absorb the back EMF or you could damage up
the port. Velleman make a number of kits which may be of use such as a
USB io card VEL-K8055 . Can''t find the Velleman siter but it shown
here http://www.cps-electronics.co.uk/edu-kits.htm at the bottom of the
page.

Boner the Cat wrote:

not so, lots of relays would run off of that voltage. I found a relay that
runs off the voltage in a parallel port!!!

but an intermediate relay is no big deal either

"Mike Firth" wrote in message

I question whether this is appropriate - it seems to offer features you
don't need and seems inadequate in what you do need.
The specification .pdf file says
Control Output: 5 Vdc drive @ 50 mA max (internal 5 Vdc source)

This means that you will have to use 5 volt driven relays. The size that
will carry your amperage may pull enough milliamps that if you want to
double up relays to get capacity that you will exceed the 50ma. You may
have to buy a small 5VDC relay from Radio Shack (fortunately the 5 v

supply

is in the controller) just to drive the contactors or bigger relays. The
contactors Omega sells seem to have 120 or 240 volt coils, so an
intermediate relay would be require.

--
Mike Firth
Hot Glass Bits Furnace Working Website

"liam potts" wqdwqe@kjka wrote in message
news

I am looking to build a controller for my kiln its 240 30 amp
it has 4 240 6kw elements in it. I was thinking of using the Omega

CN1501

Series http://www.omega.com/ppt/pptsc.asp?ref=CN1501. I am a little
confused
on how many relays an output can control I assume its one for one but I

am

not sure. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Liam Potts