Old February 1st 09, 09:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati, in Phx

Default geometric pattern generator for old Macs

Just did a fast google search on "Kali tiling" and got a site with a
downloadable program for them. Available for both Mac and Windows. G
And in several languages. Neat, and I see some more time sink here.
VBG

Pati, in Phx

On Jan 30, 3:40*pm, Jack Campin - bogus address
wrote:
[ tilings generated with the Kali program on an ancient Mac ]

Oh there are some more beauties here. *Thanks Jack. *What a find.
I think I'll have a go at piecing a couple of them; but then I think I
might set about a project of several of them - done with English Paper
Piecing. *I know there's no challenge then; but I have some lovely ombre
fabric that would look gorgeous with these.
Would that be OK with you Jack?

Of course, go for it. *Each one only took me a couple of minutes
of mousing. *Our version of the Kali2Squares.gif pattern should
be done shortly and I'll post a photo (it's pieced, not bordered
yet). *I deliberately designed it to make the underlying structure
almost impossible to work out at first sight. *There obviously *is*
a structure, but somebody used to normal block settings wouldn't
immediately see the trick.

BTW, I got the idea for that quilt from a book - Grunbaum and
Shepherd, "Tilings and Patterns". *All kinds of wonderful stuff
in it, and you don't need to read mathematics to see a lot of
what's going on. Probably very expensive now (it wasn't exactly
cheap when I bought it) - buying an old Mac just to run Kali
would almost certainly be cheaper.

==== j a c k *at *c a m p i n . m e . u k *=== *http://www.campin.me.uk ====
CD-ROMs and free stuff: *Scottish music, food intolerance, and Mac logic fonts