Old September 20th 03, 09:40 PM
Sorceress

Jill Spottiswoode opined thusly:

Hi, can anyone advise me as to what to use to hold my cross stitch taut
enough for me to work on. I am thinking about getting a Tapestry frame
or Embroidery hoop, but don't know how to use them. (Have only seen
pictures of them)
Thanks,
Jill

I think you'll get a zillion different opinions on this excellant question.
There's no one right answer to your question, it's an entirely subjective
thing. If you do cross-stitch long enough, then chances are you will buy
and/or try out at least a couple different methods of keeping your fabric
taut. The good news is that all these devices are relatively affordable (in
the begining at least), and can be re-used almost infinately.

I use either a hoop, artists stretcher bars, a scroll frame, or a quilting
hoop - depending on the project at hand. I would suggest that if the
project is smallish to start with an embroidery hoop first. If you find you
do not like it, you can always change to stretcher bars or a scroll frame
in mid-stitching. If the project is larger than..... 12" x 12" or so then
maybe think about giving stretcher bars a try.

I tend to avoid hoops these days because of the rings they leave in the
fabric as the stitching progresses. I only use them for the smallest of
projects. That's just my personal preference.

Good luck!

--Anne