Old September 25th 04, 09:22 PM
Tom Farrell

Default Kenmore Monogrammer

So, I got a Kenmore Monogrammer.

Singer monogrammers for vertical needle machines seem to be about as
common as a month of mondays, and kenmore monogrammers crop up all the
time, so I figured I'd get one and see if I could use it.

I can't.

Basically, the device is made for a machine with a vertical bobbin.
You'd take off the cover in front of the bobbin area, and there's a
thingy that gets attached to the front of the machine. The buttonholer
or the monogrammer can be attached into the thingy, and they then get
their power from the rotation of the bobbin, as far as I can tell. The
problem is, the thingy is a vital part without which neither the
buttonholer nor the monogrammer may be used, and it won't fit just any
ordinary machine, it's made to fit an old Kenmore machine. So, unless
you're trying with an old kenmore machine, the buttonholer and
monogrammer can't be attached.

So, I also got a bunch of cams with this collection. The buttonholer
has a set of cams, which are in blocks with five cams molded into the
block. Thus, five pieces of plastic yield 25 cams.

Also, the monogrammer has its letter cams, all 26 of them. Each has
two sizes of the letter, depending on which direction you stick the
cam into the monogrammer device.

Does anyone know if these cams are useful for anything besides the
Kenmore monogrammer? Are they, for example, usable on the Singer
Professional Monogrammer? Basically, I'm wondering if I should hang
onto this set of stuff in the hope that some of the cams might be
useful, or if I should just give up and put it back on ebay.

Tom Farrell
http://www.SewingWithTom.com