Old November 21st 03, 07:24 AM
Ann Adamson

Well, I wouldn't elect to have either, but I do have breast cancer, and
I got it at age 36. It is a frightening disease, and something that I
have to treat as a chronic condition for the rest of my life. They are
just starting to make advances in genetic testing and hopefully one day,
gene therapies for breast and other cancers. And that is an area that
hits espcecially close to home for me, as a younger breast cancer
survivor. It definitely needs more research and more supporting money.
And yes, there are lots of other diseases that need to have more
research as well. I have a strong history of heart disease and diabetes
in my family as well as my cancer genetic link. I support all of these
causes and encourage others to do the same, but I ALWAYS encourage
people to contribute to the medical charities *of their choice*. It is
a very personal and sometimes emotional decision -- every person gets
touched by some terrible disease in their lifetime, unfortunately,
whether it's in themselves, a family member, or a friend. Supporting
research into better treatments, prevention and or cures is always a
good thing, IMO.

BTW, I just completed my chemotherapy TODAY. Woo hoo!

Ann

Nurse Ratched wrote:

It would be nice if there were a cure for breast cancer, just as it would be
nice if there were a cure for everything that ails us. With regard to this
particular post, however, I have two comments:

1. Heart disease kills more women than breast cancer. We need a foundation to
raise funds for research into heart disease **in women**, who have been sadly
underrepresented in the research that has been done to date.

2. Weekly Planet recently ran an investigative story about the incestuous ties
between the folks behind the SGK Foundation and various folks whose interests
are at odds with the stated purpose of the foundation. You can read it he

http://www.weeklyplanet.com/2003-10-23/cover.html

Nurse Ratched (remove "cuckoo" from address to reply)
We'll all get back to normal if we put our nation first,
But the trouble with "normal" is, it always gets worse. ~Bruce Cockburn