Old March 25th 06, 07:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default OT - Anyone on here a piano tuner?

NightMist wrote:

If you have a good ear and the money to invest in the tools it is a
career option. I have tried talking DH into taking it up, he has
perfect pitch, but he says he doesn't have the nerves for it.

I've heard that having perfect pitch could
actually be a detriment! It's not that you
want 3 A's at 440, it's that you want one A
at 440, and then match the other two strings
to it so that all 3 sound good... (Not that
I would know, remember? my tuner told me never
to tune again...)

I don't have the faintest idea how you could possible learn to do it
well with a home study course, unless they send someone with
experience to you?

I have a friend who did this, but he was
already a musician.

quavers off from each other or the sound will have no life. A lot of
people do not belive it can be done with an electronic tuner. Having
never encountered anyone who ever tuned a piano with an electronic
tuner I couldn't say yea or nay.

I've had both. But, even the ones with
electronic tuners checked their tuning
by counting beats.

Do bear in mind that the proper tools are not cheap. Doing it part
time I imagine it would be a while before you recouped your
investment.

I totally agree.

-- Anita --