Old August 25th 03, 02:19 PM
Roberta Zollner

ROFL! Sandy, you're a Wicked Woman sneaking all those intimate photos. I was
trying to keep those glasses a secret from the world in general!
Roberta in D

" Ellison" wrote in message
Howdy!
(some copy&pasting may be necessary; beg pardon!
this looks right on my screen g)
Must be the longest THREAD on a subject Ever! ;-D

My family's always been "in cotton." From my grandparents
on Mom's side who were cotton dusters, gloves and tack cloths,
http://www.theragcompany.com/
to my dad's people, industrial mops and floor rugs.
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/award/ndfa/ndf...c200/c226r.jpg
We evolved into at least 5 generations of quilters in my family,
I've been quilting since I was a kid, a mere moplet;
here's a typical home scene:
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/award/ndfa/ndf...c100/c192r.jpg
Our family song: *warning: music plays*
http://louiseward20.tripod.com/ragmop/ragmop.html
R I say R-A R-A-G R-A-G-G
R-A-G-G M-O-P-P: Rag Mop
So quilting was kind of in my fiber, you see;
I've always handcrafted & quilted:
http://home.att.net/~ellison-texas/w...ome.html-.html
Thru' some very vigorous shaking, I ended up here at RCTQ.
It definitely was not because my husband, RagMan;
I introduced him to newsgroups and talking on-line .
(What was I thinking?!)
Good ol' RCTQ-- friendly faces and friendly fire,
good ideas on and off topic, why go anywhere else?!
What made me stay?
Wellllll, this Quilting Party that Sarah threw made a big impression:
"The door is always open and everyone is welcome" at Sarah's;
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10008820+X-8820
"Come one, come all, she said; we're gonna' have a Quilting Party;
I don't care how you get here; just get here!"
Here's Joan, tucked in and waving goodbye:
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10062917+X-62917
LN and Kris and Pat traveled together, picking up Susan & Marcella,
and a few others along the way:
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00170155+P-155
Linda and the Gang wanted to bring their own stuff:
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/award/ndfa/ndf...c100/c140r.jpg
Some of the party-goers took a little side trip on the way:
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/award/ndfa/ndf...c100/c189r.jpg
We had Nurses on call:
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10012150+X-12150
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10011879+X-11879
Sarah's planning committee met us when we arrived:
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/award/ndfa/ndf...c100/c102r.jpg
and she reminded us that she has a Stash Guard:
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/award/ndfa/ndf...c100/c109r.jpg
But I wasn't skeert:
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10022137+X-22137
We got a tour of the premises to inspire us:
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10013332+X-13332
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10017869+X-17869
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10031433+X-31433
There was space set aside for smokers:
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/award/ndfa/ndf...c100/c130r.jpg
as well as other amenities:
http://www.moore-warner.com/coups/coup012.gif
Men and children went out to pick cotton for the batting:
http://www.kountrylife.com/content/vin70.htm
Polly gave a demonstration of how to prepare fthe cotton
for batting, carding w/ deftness and speed:
http://memory.loc.gov/pnp/fsa/8c2300...0/8c23936r.jpg
while the rest of us stayed around to wash the new fabric.
Sarah & Wendy heated up the water:
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/award/ndfa/ndf...c100/c195r.jpg
(that's Sarah's favorite punch stick);
Ruth showed us the most efficient way to rinse the fabric:
http://runyon.lib.utexas.edu/r/RUN02...0/RUN02392.JPG
Entering the house w/ our clean fabric thru' the kitchen door
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10008941+X-8941
we divided into several small groups and began our quilting;
some of us chose to work outside:
http://memory.loc.gov/pnp/fsa/8a3700...0/8a37156r.jpg
Here's LN preparing a frame:
http://memory.loc.gov/pnp/fsa/8a3700...0/8a37150r.jpg
while others worked inside, full of joy and merriment
http://memory.loc.gov/pnp/fsa/8b3000...0/8b30393r.jpg
http://memory.loc.gov/pnp/fsa/8c1700...0/8c17428r.jpg
We quilted.
http://memory.loc.gov/service/pnp/cp...0/3d02058r.jpg
http://memory.loc.gov/pnp/fsa/8b3500...0/8b35946r.jpg
http://memory.loc.gov/service/pnp/cp...0/3c18916r.jpg
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00120179+L-179
For tips and lessons, Nann took charge of the quilting books:
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10008315+X-8315
Lori and Teresa volunteered to help Merry
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10009859+X-9859
with a visit to Vickie in the summer parlor:
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10022290+X-22290
Mid-morning break saw us taking a little exercise out-of-doors:
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00105177+NS-177
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00105183+NS-183
but soon it was back to the quilting:
http://memory.loc.gov/pnp/det/4a2000...0/4a21210r.jpg
http://memory.loc.gov/pnp/fsa/8b3700...0/8b37107r.jpg
http://www.rogerco.pwp.blueyonder.co...s/vict-bea.jpg
At last it was time for lunch, very much a serve-yourself buffet:
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/award/ndfa/ndf...c100/c188r.jpg
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00073973+MCC-3973
during which Roberta Z favored us w/ a little Eatin' Music:
http://memory.loc.gov/afc/afccc/p000/p051r.jpg
And then back to the quilting:
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10000297+X-297
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/award/ndfa/ndf...c000/c079r.jpg
One of the most exciting parts of the day,
when Sarah's boyfriend from the LQS showed up:
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/award/ndfa/ndf...c100/c186r.jpg
We all indulged, esp. Sarah. *snicker*
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00105331+NS-331
Someone just couldn't keep up:
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00187158+Rh-2158
Indulged & inspired, spirits revived after our afternoon respite.
Kathy called for her "boys, aka Kathy's Kut-ups:
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00105793+NS-793
& not to be outdone, we were soon visited by Donna's Dudes:
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00105732+NS-732
even Donna had to kick up her heels over this bunch:
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00105587+NS-587
Mim
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00185348+Rh-348
was soon surrounded by admirers:
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00185229+Rh-229
The neighbors
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10032152+X-32152
thought things were getting a bit rowdy & called in
some peace keepers:
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00185700+Rh-700
We stopped for tea:
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00074312+MCC-4312
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10007596+X-7596
and other refreshments:
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00120470+L-470
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00186821+Rh-1821
http://www.sandiegohistory.org/colle...ges/7062-8.jpg
Show&tell at the close of day brought many delightful sharings;
from one of the smaller groups who had been quilting/piecing
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10030176+X-30176
Suzie showed off this quilt:
http://memory.loc.gov/pnp/fsa/8b2500...0/8b25287r.jpg
Taria had a Finished Quilt (& lovely booties)
http://memory.loc.gov/pnp/fsa/8b2700...0/8b27060r.jpg
Hanging outdoors with pride:
http://memory.loc.gov/pnp/fsa/8c3500...0/8c35738r.jpg
http://memory.loc.gov/pnp/fsa/8b2100...0/8b21515r.jpg
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00185282+Rh-282
(oh, those Kut-ups!)
Some of the day's results were *not* destined to be ribbon-winners
(perhaps too much exposure to Donna's Dudes):
http://memory.loc.gov/pnp/fsa/8b2100...0/8b21356r.jpg
On to supper and more fun and games:
http://memory.loc.gov/pnp/fsa/8b2500...0/8b25473r.jpg
when Butterfly took the dance floor w/ her troup...group:
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00186180+Rh-1180
Alas, the day ended, the shindig came to a close,
and we departed in high good spirits
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10006414+X-6414
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00171777+P-1777
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10002412+X-2412
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00125039+K-39

And that's some history to entertain you, Diana!
As to the futu more of the same, please!
Raggmopp/Sandy
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Ranch/4775/

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
Would you please tell me how you came to post at RCTQ, and why you

stay,
and
how you came to be a quilter and what you hope to find in your quilting
future. Maybe everyone else will get some pleasure in reading these ..

then
I wont feel so selfish! lol
Thanks in advance, Diana the slightly bored