Old April 23rd 04, 10:40 PM
Mj

Hi Karen -

I don't make beads, but I do some fusing from time to time and I will say
here, once again, that I LOVE my Skutt kiln.
http://www.skutt.com/glass/products/beadkiln.php
It has the bead door just in case I ever need it. It has a great digital
controller that you just set and forget when you're ready to run your cycle.
For beads, you'd be keeping it at a certain temperature as you put mandrels
in one by one until you had a batch and could run the program for annealing.
No need to babysit it as long as it's sitting in a safe place and a stray
critter can't jump up and move your mandrels. The extremes of outside
temperatures might be a problem, but that would be the case with *any* kiln
you used.

It has panels that slide into groves that protect the heating coils on
either side so you are less likely to electrocute yourself when you put
beads in to anneal. It runs on household current (110-120v) and I've never
gotten an electric bill that was extremely high because of using it. It's
very efficient and has few, if any, cold/hot spots within the chamber.

It's a good size for beads, it works well for fusing and you can also fire
PMC in it with NO problems. Slumping would be limited to small projects,
but it can be done. I use two shelves when fusing and it's amazing to me
the amount I can get into this thing! The controller allows you to set a
new program whenever you want or you can save your favorite firing/annealing
cycle for future use. Cost is $650-$750 plus shipping unless you have a
dealer close by.

If you have more specific questions about this unit, I'd be happy to answer
them.

Mj
--
=================================
Marjean Cline
"Karin Cernik" wrote in message
(let's say, $500-800 if possible, going to $1000 if I have to.) I work
in my garage. In Kansas. Where it goes from -10 to +110. I would
prefer 120V
I'm only needing to anneal beads right now, but
may want to do fusing/slumping/whatever in the future.

It must have a computer controller.

I've heard that kilns with firebricks are possibly more efficient, in
that you can just turn them off to let them cool down - is that true?
Good practice? Safe?