Old March 12th 04, 05:44 AM
Marty Kenny

Give some thought to a larger kiln 18 tall 17 wide. You can get bigger
pieces and more pieces in and fire longer. Unless you are into only small
thrown pieces or jewelry you might finde the larger kiln less frustrating.
24 hr cycle probably for each. Think of it as a long term investment and
spread the cost over the years.

I opted for the larger, and shared power (using a licensed electritian) with
the stove 50 amps. Adding an extra line entirely would have meant a major
service change from 100 to 200 amps. It took some convincing of my wife
that it wouldn't interfer with the cooking (about two months) and 300$ to
the electritian who did a neat quick job.

Very happy with the results,

Marty

in article , Sam at
wrote on 3/8/04 2:20 PM:

So I had just about decided to set aside a little bit more money than I
really should spend, and buy a slightly larger kiln. But I found that I
probably won't have the electrical outlet I need unless I either hire an
electrician or supplant my dryer. So alternatives are the cheaper kiln and
an electircian, or the larger kiln and keep swapping plugs behind my dryer.
Neither really fill me with joy. Anyone have any handy advice that will help
me get the most for my limited funds? Maybe there is an alternative way to
get 220v? or maybe the power to my well pump can be used, but that might
require that I have my kiln on the back porch, basically outside. Bad Idea?

Thanks.