Old March 9th 04, 03:16 AM
Uncle John

"Sam" wrote in
om:

"wayneinkeywest" wrote :

Bad idea. Keep the kiln under cover, if you can.

Screened in "Florida Room"?

Hope that helps,

It does, thanks. But I am still not sure what to do... I will
probably
have to agonize over it for a few more days before I will allow myself
to make a decision. In the end, money (or the lack of it) will be the
deciding factor.

I would have thought that a dryer would probably run a 1kw an hour. My
small 1 cubic foot kiln is rated 5 kw and no way could that run off an
ordinary power point either for safety or the ability for the kiln to
reach temperature.

I had to run a dedicated line from the power board to the kiln, complete
with a heavy duty plug and socket. The new line was the same size line as
the one to the electric stove and has worked well and I am able to use
the stove and dryer at the same time as my kiln.

The other thing we tend to overlook at the time of installing new lines
etc (particularly if it is done by a friend who looks the other way and
takes a short cut from an existing plug) is the insurance aspect. Your
kiln won't catch fire but your power points and plug may melt down
causing a fire and unless you have the proper paperwork they will
disclaim liability.

And talking of small kilns, it takes the same amount of time and effort
to fire a small kiln as it does a big one

John W