Old April 1st 08, 05:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Peter W.. Rowe,

Default alternative to cuttlebone

On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 09:00:46 -0700, in rec.crafts.jewelry silverstall
wrote:

I have used cuttlefish for casting silver items for many a year
however my supply of cuttlebones has dried up. Can anyone suggest a
good alternative to cuttlebone for casting?

The Delft Clay system of sand casting is simple to use, and although it doesn't
give the distinctive texture of cuttlebone, does the same things. Some things
it does a good deal better (better details).

by the way, I've got a box of cuttlebones around here somewhere that I've never,
and probably will never, get around to using. Contact me offlist if you're
interested.

Peter