Old July 10th 03, 01:49 PM
Catherine White

The difference is not only the way you hold the yarn but how you work the
stitches on the needle. In the English method the yarn in held in the right
hand and the needle picks up the back of the stitch. In the Continental
method, the yarn in held in the left hand and the front of the stitch is
used in knitting. In the round, the back of the stitch is used because,
otherwise, the stitch is twisted. I know because when I first learned the
Continental stitch, I made mittens and the stitches looked wrong. It took a
while before I realized what was different. I think it is a matter of
preferrence. I don't really think one is faster, or better but I did find
that using the Continental method, my stitches were smaller and more even.
Take Care
Catherine
"Laurie" wrote in message
om...
I'm curious about the different types of knitting. A lady took one
look at the way my Mom knitted and said "oh, you knit the German way."
I don't know what that means and when I asked the lady simply said
"it is more efficient." My Mom learned to knit from her Mother-in-law
even tho' my Grandma is a lovely knitter and I know my Grandma knits
"the other way."

Is the German way the same as Continental? And what makes them
different from each other?

Thanks,

Laurie
Washougal, WA