Old February 12th 04, 11:40 AM
Roberta Zollner

I've done quite a few of these and they all turned out well. Try to find
some thin cotton batiste to use as backing instead of the regular muslin.
Wash first, it shrinks sometimes. If you can bear to wash your embroidery
pieces, do so. (Most of mine started with flea market finds. Tossed them all
in the machine for a good scrub, and only ever had 1 piece run.) It's nice
to know a quilt can be washed if necessary.

You know best what sort of design would best suit your pieces. If you want
something bigger to quilt than sashing, you can piece some complementary
blocks to alternate with your X-stitch squares.

You can machine quilt with invisible thread on the embroidery bits, if you
want. I like to outline the focus motifs and stipple the background. Go
ahead and use some other kind of thread on the rest of the quilt, if you
prefer.

Remember that the embroidery will probably wear more quickly than the rest
of the piece, because the thread lies on top of the fabric.
Roberta in D

"Charlotte Hippen" wrote in message
At first it may not seem on topic but bear with me please.

Last night I pulled out one of my many cross stitch project after many
months of not working on any of them. It's a Precious Moments design by
Gloria and Pat. Over the years I have made several of their designs. I
started cross stitching as a kid so since I really liked the precious
moments these patterns were perfect. Now I stitch them when I want a

fairly
fast and easy project to stitch so I've gotten a small collection of them
over the years. When I was younger my mother made the suggestion of make
enough to make a quilt with and I thought yea. I hadn't put much thought
into it until last night stitching. I am thinking about making small

frames
of fabric for some of the smaller ones and maybe even a very small one for
the larger designs but haven't decided on that it may just end up being

some
plain muslin to make them all the same size even though they are close. I
am thinking of attaching them together with sashings. I have a couple of
questions on how to accomplish this quilt though.

1)They are all stitched on aida (cloth with holes in it for those who

don't
cross stitch). I assume I will need to put something behind them like
muslin to keep the batting from popping through. Will this be too bulky
especially since the aida is thick to begin with? Will I have cosmetic
problems due to the differences in bulk?

2)Like I said, I'm thinking about connecting the pieces with sashings so
some quilting can be done there, but I'm wondering what to do with the
blocks/pictures. I don't want quilting in the middle of my cross

stitches.
Any ideas how this could be handled? I'm sure it will have to be machine
quilted because the bulk of the aida would make hand quilting a bit hard.

Again TIA for your help and ideas!!
--
Charlotte
http://community.webshots.com/user/charh108