Old July 13th 04, 03:23 AM
muse9

Aren't you sweet to suggest that! I bought some Hobbs 100% cotton batting
and some Hobbs 80/20 batting a while back when Hobby Lobby had it on sale
for 1/2 price. I knew at some point I would use it! So I do have some
batting. In fact I covered an old table with cotton batting and then muslin
and I use it for an ironing table and also a cutting table when I add my
rotary mat to it.

The quilt I'm making is meant to be a wall hanging. It is a 30x30 nine
patch. I got the pattern from an Alex Anderson beginner book. I am doing
it in all pinks and purples for my granddaughter. It is almost big enough
to be a lap quilt for her if she wants but it started out to be a large doll
quilt. I made her a doll last Christmas and I've made some doll clothes for
her dolls as well. This just seemed to be a good first quilting project for
me.

The one thing that surprised me about the batting is how thin it is. I
don't know what I was expecting, but somehow I thought batting was thicker!
I know you can buy some that is but I understand the traditional batting is
easiest for quilting.

Thank you so much for your very kind offer - I really appreciate it. I have
some for now to get me started and I'm hoping since so many have said that
Hobbs is good that what I have will work out well.

Bonnie

"Dr.Quilter" wrote

a doll quilt? how big is it? if it is small enough, maybe some of us can
send you leftovers of different battings so you can compare? or even a 10"
square so you can make some potholders or coasters and test them....

I can provide W&N since it is the only one I recognize. That is, I've used
hobbs and many other brands, I am sure, but since the remnants are all in

bag I don't know which is which.

I once bough the softest most beautiful batting ever. it was kind of easy

disassemble though, if you pulled too much. no idea what brand it was and

cannot find it again...