Old January 6th 05, 02:45 PM

When I first helped in the reading program I had 3 sixth grade boys
which I enjoyed tho there were some of the other volunteers who
expressed sympathy. They were pretty rambunctious but no problem, then I
was assigned to just one who simply could not read at all. How does a
kid get to that grade without being able to read? Something wrong with
this picture! His 1st words to me were "I hate reading and so does my
dad" h-m-m. I worked with him for 2years. We developed a great
relationship and he was making progress and enjoying it. I work much
better one on one in a consistant manner.
I am diappointed that I couldn't continue what had been built. He needed
that individual, day to day attention.
The program you describe sounds much like what they went to. I just
couldn't get into it. Elda in Ks