Old October 30th 08, 06:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Default OT word of the day

Bombazine

The best known version is a fabric with a silk warp and woolen weft.
Very durable, easy to wear, and suitable for most weather. It rose to
popularity during the elizabethan period as a mourning fabric, due to
these qualities, and stayed in fashion for such until the last century
which saw the rise of synthetics and a change in mourning customs.

At some points in history, and currently, a silk warp with a weft of
cotton or linen are also called bombazine.

Bombazette is a lightweight woolen fabric. I have personally seen the
term incorrectly applied to a rayon warp with a woolen weft. I
suspect that other such odd labling is probably also out there applied
to similar combinations.
--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.