Old January 3rd 04, 08:44 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

This requires a group of people with a single minded position that "This
Will Work!" and a cooperation not always there, but can be with the
right leader.

Where I lived in Illinois, I put together a "partnership" and
hand-picked who I would work with in each area: government, chamber of
commerce, public sector. It worked! Money poured in, government gave,
chamber of commerce came to terms with what needed to be done, things
moved in the right direction . . . public volunteered labor - even a
judge. When I left 5 years later it fell apart. Not because I left
(someone in charge was just as competent), but because the government
changed hands, the businesses began grousing again, the public wasn't
kept informed. Rivalry ensued. Jealousy, backpiting, petty grievances.

It's tough to keep it going, but it CAN be done. I love this disucssion
and the thoughts of a successful "Dream Shop". It makes perfect sense,
to me. Everything everyone's described.

Dianne

FKBABB wrote:
I wonder if someone could pull this off - a cooperative set of shops set in
a "court yard" plaza/mall. A yarn shop, a needlework shop (with broad range
of areas), a quilters shop, a finisher/framer, a tea/coffee shop, maybe even
a bookshop all opening in to a courtyard area (not necessarily open to the
air) with comfortable seating. BRBR

I've been thinking about this, too. I'd add boutiques for weavers and rug
hookers and a sewing store with high quality fabrics, plus a chocolate shop and
a gallery area for changing exhibits (and sale) of works by local fiber artists
(to bring in, and perhaps convert, folks who are not needleworkers). I'd use
the courtyard not just for seating, but for demonstrations of techniques and
classes. The bookstore would be important to give non-stitching spouses
something to do and maybe one or two other shops selling stuff with cross over
appeal, such as a hobby shop with models and miniature furniture and an
electronics boutique emphasizing soft and hardware for stitchers. All the
shops could pool their resources (and save some overhead) to do a joint
newsletter, advertising, and a website. Make it a real destination place that
would pull not only from a wide local area but be a must see for tourists, too.

Annie