Old January 3rd 04, 04:01 PM
Gillian Murray

We had something that was a little bit like this here. In the corner of the
L of the shopping center was a small courtyard/portico with little shops,
and plants. It was composed of my cross-stitch shop which is also a frameing
shop; then there was the tailoress, who did alterations; a travel agent; a
silk flower shop; a hairdresser and just around the corner the Health Food
shop, which had some tables in it, so you could sit and have something to
eat.

Well, last fall Amanda heard a horrid cracking sound in the roof of the LNS,
and cracks appeared along the walls. After a lot of surveying work, it was
found that all the structural support for the roof are had rotted clear
through. Therefore, the entire area has to be razed. The LNS is moving next
to Radio Shack, in the same shopping center, but the rest has gone. I was in
there yesterday, and it is the only shop which is left open. They will move
around the end of the month. I have offered to be a pair of hands in this
great moving project of about 100 yards!

Gillian
Florida
"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
" I wonder if someone could pull this off - a cooperative set of shops set
in
a "court yard" plaza/mall. A yarn shop, a needlework shop (with broad

range
of areas), a quilters shop, a finisher/framer, a tea/coffee shop, maybe

even
a bookshop all opening in to a courtyard area (not necessarily open to the
air) with comfortable seating. And don't forget a nice bathroom; how many
times has your enjoyment of something been affected by a gross bathroom.
They all cooperate on costs of operation for heating, lights and the ilk

but
maintain separate inventory costs.

Now - the most important part - a willingness to say "go ask X in shop Y
about that". Maybe cross discipline classes too. Embellishing your

crocheted
sweater, canvas work with Fake Fur yarns.....

It wouldn't be it a great place to shop. Just imagine.....

Cheryl