Old March 27th 04, 10:09 AM
Johanna Gibson

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 08:23:28 -0000, "Marie Lewis"
wrote:

I know that our Health Service in the UK comes under a lot of criticism (I
am heartily grateful for the NHS) but at least drug bills are never so high.
I am really sorry for you and wish we could help.

Only about 30% of people pay for drugs at all (children, young people in
full time education, people with some chronic illnesses and everyone over 60
get all drugs completely free.)

Those who pay, pay a maximum of about $11 per item and if the drug cost less
than that anyway, can pay the actual cost.

Of course we pay through taxes: but the sense of security is, IMHO, well
worth it. I cannot imagine anyone watning to go back to the old, pre NHS,
days.

Marie

Guess what? I'm in full-time education, and have been for about 3
years in the UK, and I pay for my prescriptions. I always have, since
I came over nearly 9 years ago. Someone in the Home Office said that
I could be deported if I every made a claim for any benefit. Is it
true? Who wants to find out?
So I keep paying my £6.30 every month for each of my two
prescriptions. Yes, that is 1/10th of what it would cost for the one
medication in the US. But it annoys me when folks make blanket
statements. I am a permanent British resident, in full-time education
in the UK, and I pay for my medications, and I always have.

-- Jo in Scotland