Old July 5th 07, 08:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Default How do I keep my quilt square

One little trick that I use is to cut your binding on the crosswise grain so
it will have a bit of stretch. Lay the quilt out flat and- using small
safety pins- mark any areas that don't lay flat starting and ending about 2
inches from the wobble. When you sew on the binding (sewing the first round
by machine- not the final stitching) you can stretch the binding a bit and
it will make the tiniest of gathers and flatten out those wobbles. This
only works for small boo-boos.... large waves will need more intensive
treatment.

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

"Kate G." wrote in message
. ..
Do you measure frequently along the way -- to make sure you stay square
from the get-go?

How do you add borders? Chop off a piece... sew it on... then trim to
fit? Sure hope NOT! This is one of the easiest ways to end up with a
quilt that is very wonky (hee hee... a techincal term!). You should
measure at at least 2 (and 3 or 4 is better) spots on your quilt, then
average the measurements together (Hopefully they are the same... but
rarely are they!). Cut THAT length for your border... easing as needed.

My only advice is to measure.... measure... measure. Make sure each
block is square and accurate. Make sure each row is square and accurate.
Cut carefully and straight.

Sorry I don't have any magic answers.

--
Kate in MI

"MaleQuilter" wrote in message
oups.com...
My first few quilt projects have not hung straight and I am trying to
make sure my current project stays square. I have just now started
attaching the borders and so far everything is square and all of
measurements match up like they should.

What tips do you have for keeping everthing square during attaching
boders and quilting?

I think somehow the quilting on my last project caused the wavy way
the quilt hung. Is there a way to keep the quilting from causing a
warp in the quilt?

Jerry in North Alabama
http://community.webshots.com/user/MaleQuilter